How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

I have being living in a rented property for 9 years, my name

Customer Question

I have being living in a rented property for 9 years, my name is XXXXX XXXXX so called lease. My partner moved in with me some 8.5 years. We are about to break up, she is insisting that because she has been here so long she is entitled to stay here and that I must leave. She owns 2 properties that she rents out. Can you advise please.
Keith Salmon
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Hi Do you have any children?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No children with this person. I've been devorced for 12years I have 2 children from that marriage grown up now.

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
In the absence of children and if the tenancy is in your name , she does not really have any right to occupy the property particularly if your occupation preceded the relationship and she has other properties. Theoretically a divorce court could order a transfer of the tenancy but if you are not married then she has no rights and you can ask her to leave