How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Hi I have had claims forms for a debt sent to me by Northampton

Customer Question

I have had claims forms for a debt sent to me by Northampton Court, but I have been in hospital with Pneumonia and have not been able to respond in time. I have just received a letter stating that the claim has been passed on to Kings Lynn for enforcement. What should I do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need some advice as to how I can communicate with Northampton Claims that I was unable to respond within their time frame before the debt is passed to a different court for enforcement.

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Can I have the full background
including dates, the amount of the claim, what it is for etc.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


The amount is for 7000 pounds on a Nationwide credit card. I was making regular payments for 6 years before I had to reduce my working hours when my daughter was diagnosed with Autism. I wrote to Nationwide offering them a monthly sum of one pound (which was advised to me by CCCS), however they must have passed the debt on for collection.

The problem is that I was admitted to hospital with Pneumonia in February and was then recovering at my mother's house. I had stopped my mobile phone as I could not afford it so I was not contactable.

When I returned to my own home I suffered a serious nervous breakdown (my GP has records of all of this) and was put onto anti depressants. Obviously my partner was worried about my mental and physical health and did not pass my post onto me.

I have just been able to start working again and dealing with other issues. I opened a letter this morning stating that the claim made by Nationwide had been transferred from Northampton to Kings Lynn for enforcement.

I do not know what this means, but I was not at my house when the original forms were sent, and now I am concerned as to what I should do?

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

I am not the least bit surprised that
they did not accept 1 pound per month because it meant that the debt would not
be paid off in your lifetime.

I'm afraid that your partner has done
you a disservice by withholding your post.

This is now going to be quite
difficult to deal with because of the timescale involved and the delay.

You need to make an application to
court to set aside the judgement which it appears that nationwide have against
you. You can only apply to set aside the judgement if you have a reasonable
prospect of defending the case or there is some other compelling reason.
Unfortunately, you don't seem to have a defence because the fact remains that
you do oh £7000.

There is another issue with setting
the judgement aside and that is the delay between when the judgement was
received (which I do not know from the facts you have given me) and now. You will have to give a reason for the
delay and along with your application to court to set the judgement aside, you
will have to provide some proof that you are in hospital and were no longer
living at your own home.

Your partner will also be required to
give a statement as to why he/she did not pass correspondence on to you. I
think the mobile phone being cut-off is immaterial because everybody knew where
you were.

If you do manage to get the judgement
set aside, it just means that the nationwide cannot enforce the judgement but
they can take you back to court to try and get the judgement put back in place.

If you do not get the judgement set
aside or you don't deal with it, it can be enforced by taking money straight
from your bank account, sending bailiffs round to take goods, putting a charge
against your house, getting your employer to pay money direct from wages (if
you are employed) or ultimately, you could be made bankrupt.

This is not something that you must
sit on and you must make an application as soon as you can to set aside the

This leaflet
explains the process

Does that answer
the question.? Can I assist any further?

I am happy to
follow up any individual point you make

I am online and
off-line each day and most weekends so please bear with me if I do not come
back to you within nanoseconds.

Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want
to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive
rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is
my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask. Thank you.