How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

How do i report a suspected drug offense? A friend has been

Customer Question

How do i report a suspected drug offense? A friend has been hoodwinked to act as a sole director in a company she is not involved in everyday running of affairs. The guys managing the company are linked with drug barons. My fear is that this company might be used for drug related offenses without the knowledge of my friend. My fear is that if anything goes wrong in the future my friend would be made to face the music while this guys would vanish into the thin air. I have all the details of the company. I believe they are using sale of African Caesarian food in UK as a cover for their nefarious activities. Any advise on how to save my friend from imminent cataclysm would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What proof do you have of this offence?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Let me come out straight. The friend in question is actually my wife. I do not have any proof that the company was incorporated for drug purposes. However commonsense tells me that you dont become sole director in a company you do not know what is happening in the management of the company. She has not known the guy managing the company for up to a year. The guy has criminal records of being in and out of jail about four times in UK. The company they are supposed to be packaging food for was dissolved a couple of days ago. This same company was said to be involved in drug dealings and was closed down after 6 yrs of operation. There are a lot of imponderables in this case, but i need to protect my wife and family from these criminals. I have asked her to resign from the board, but she refused on the ground that they told her that she cant do that after two years. The question is, why cant she resign now? why is the guy managing the company ie her partner not put his name as a director of the company? what is he hiding? These and many other questions are agitating my mind. I do not want anything to happen to her and my family because i have kids schooling in UK on student visa. I also travel regularly to UK on visit visa. We are foreigners- non UK citizens.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
No, common sense would suggest this is suspicious.

Is she willing to report this?

Has she taken any action of assistance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, she has refused vehemently to take any action to report this. She has invested money in this company. She claims that by making her a sole director that they are doing her a favor. I find this extremely ridiculous. I do not know whether blackmail is involved, but i believe right now that she is highly disoriented as the guy keeps piling pressure on her to stay as director of the company. Truth is, i can see grave danger ahead, but as a foreigner in UK , i really do want to protect her and our family from the imminent cataclysm from this guy

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

That is a problem I'm afraid.

I do completely see why you are worried about this but ultimately we are all hampered by the law.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

Its easy enough for you to report it at any police station. You don't have to have any nexus to the offending conduct to make a report. Any person can.

The question is really whether it would expose her to problems if you did. That depends on the level of her involvement. If all she has done is invest money then she is likely to be considered a victim of a scam but obviously nobody can guarantee that.

The only thing that can be said is that its much more sensible to report it now while her involvement is minimal than later when it is more incontrovertible.

Obviously I cannot tell you what this company are up to but its certainly possible that she is being used as its public face so that any unlawful activity points to her rather than them.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thanks for your prompt response. At this point , i guess my hands are tied. I will probably watch and see how things unfold. If you feel there is any other information that would be useful, please let me know.. Best wishes.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
The only observation I do have so that from her point of view its probably better that this comes to police attention sooner rather than later.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I will see how she will agree to this , hoping that she will see reasons.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
No problem.

If she reports it then she is fairly protected really.

All the best.