How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

hi I would like to evict my ex partner we have been apart for

Customer Question

hi I would like to evict my ex partner we have been apart for 2yrs but he wont leave my house he payed the mortgage for x amount years insiad of giving me any house keeping when he first moved in he did not have any money as he was split up from his x wife and had a lot of outstanding bills ie mortgage ect so for the first 8to 10 months I had nothing from him he payed my mortgage and I took no more from him for his keep the payments for the mortgage was £250.00 a month. I told him 2 years ago we were no longer together and I payed my mortgage of myself £5000.00 he gave me no money for anything this went on for 18 months and january this year I told him again he has to leave because he I need my life back and I am feed up with keeping him for nothing then he offerd me £100.00 and I said no I did not want it's to late for that so he said he wont leave so still no more money so I told him I am not going to do nothing for him so for 3 months I told him again he has to go and he is still hear please what can I do
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but need some further information first.
How much in total did he pay towards the mortgage over the years and how much is the property worth?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am not shore i think about 6 [email protected]£250.00 a month

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Your ex may have a financial claim on the property because he made the mortgage payments - but that does not give him the right to live there
You need to give him "Reasonable Notice" (at least 28 days) in WRITING to leave the property.
At the end of that time you should wait until he goes out then change the locks and pack his belongings up for collection
If he tries to re-enter the property then call the police.
He may however then ask for a share of the equity - and sadly you may indeed have to make a payment - but you can argue that this was simply his contribution to the house hold bills
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further clarification
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you but have tried that but nothing happened so I have to take him to court thanks again but what you said is no good so please can you put the money back into my account as I have got a somebody now thank you trying to help

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Do you mean that you changed the locks and he broke back in?
Did you call the police?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no was told could not do it could get into trubble

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Then you were told incorrectly - if the house was held by you in your sole name then you can give notice and then change the locks - you are legally entitled to do this