How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

several years ago i left my now ex wife, i left due to her

Customer Question

several years ago i left my now ex wife, i left due to her having affairs i allowed her to stay in the house that i was buying because we had two sons and she had a son from her previous marrage. she went on bennifits so took over the mortgage payements. she sold the property about five years ago, without making any restitution to me for my part of the house, was this legal or can i sue her for part of the profits from the house. the house was originally brought for £32.000 but she sold the house for over £120.000.
many thanks bryan pestell
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Are you saying the house was in joint names?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

originally in joint names then changed to her songle name after our divorce

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Why was it changed to her sole name? Court order?

What restitution? When were you divorced and when was the house transferred into her sole name? Why was it transferred into her sole name?

Why raise this now after 5 years?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just been very lazy and not bothered but this has been playing on my mind for along time and i now thought i should get an answer to see where i stand legally. also just found out the ex wife has used house profit to purchase a house in spain with her new husband. they live in his house in gillingham, so i feel it is wrong for her to use this money. our two sons signed a paper aggreeing to the sale of our family home

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
It isn't looking good. Can I have the rest of the info I asked for please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

from your replies it seems as though i can not pesue this matter. meny thanks for your help

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!