How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71142
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am renewing my UK driving licence . The address on the licence

Customer Question

I am renewing my UK driving licence . The address on the licence is now my sons adress in the UK. I have resident in Turkey but return to UK from time to time and need to drive. What address should I use on my application renewell form?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I am afraid that using your son's address would almost certainly be thought to be unlawful by the DVLA. That may well be unfair but its the position. You are not living there. You are just using it as a correspondence address. The DVLA require you to be permanently resident in the UK.

You can drive in the UK on a foreign licence for a certain period of time from residency anyway.

Also, if you do move back to the UK permanently then it will just be a simple matter of renewing your licence and paying a small admin fee.

I'm afraid though that if you tell them you are living abroad they will refuse it. If you tell them you are living with your son then they will not but that would be unlawful so you should not do it.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.