How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I give my ex-girlfriend 120 pound each month in child maintenance.

Customer Question

I give my ex-girlfriend 120 pound each month in child maintenance. Ever since I moved out of my parent's house and got married, she has given me problems as to visitation and demanding more and more money. She demands that I pay more in cash. She receives full child benefits from the government along with full public assistance because she declared to the government that she does not have a job when she works under her sister's name. I don't know what to do. With the increased bills, rent and utilities, I cannot afford more than what I give her as it is and do not know what my legal rights are. Please give me advice as to what my rights are as far as child maintenance and child visitation.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what is your monthly income?
What contact do you have with the child?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I make 1100 a month net, Owen is 9 and Ryan is 11, my contact depends on if my ex allows me to see them - she determines it on when she is working and if she has them stay with their brothers instead - i always have to go to her place they have never stayed overnight at my house - she won't let me take them out of her place.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I have bad news for you I am afraid - you are paying less than the CSA rate and if your ex makes an application then she would receive something in the region of £220 a month.
You can check the calculation here
However so far as contact is concerned the position is brighter.
The law says that children are entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce it if necessary
The current contact - in her home - is simply not acceptable - you are entitled to see the children away from their home and away from their mother
Contact should be on a set pattern - building up to overnight contact if your accommodation is suitable
You should try and discuss this with your ex using Family mediation ( but if this fails you can apply to the court for a Defined (and enforceable) contact order.
the form you need is a C100 available here
and the court fee is £200
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need any further information