How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

Hi, I have applied for spouce visa outside UK a month ago.

Customer Question

Hi, I have applied for spouce visa outside UK a month ago. I have lived with my partner in the for almost 5 years and returned to my home country to submit my application. I have lived in the UK for 12 years and 8 years overstayed my visa. We have all the supporting documents required. But I have made an honest mistake of not declaring 2 traffic offences from 2002 and 2003. I was given a fine and 6 points for driving without insurance. The second time another fine and 6 month driving ban for driving wihout valid licence and insurance. I was very young and a student at the time, and it was very silly. However when it said criminal conviction on the application I thought it meant the convictions where you get sentenced, another reason it was 10 years ago I have completely forgot about them. Reading through immigration forum I realise I might have made a very big mistake. Will this be held agaist me, what is my best way out of it? Many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE

Have you received a letter of receipt from the home office?
Did you plead guilty or not guilty in respect of your convictions?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have submitted my application in person and had biometric data taken already.


At the time which was 10 years ago I pleaded guilty of traffic offences.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes it may be taken against you because the form does state at point 6.9 on page 9 that you must declare all offence including traffic offences and in this case you did not and yes the home office can refuse an application on such a point.

The best thing to do now would be to submit a letter detailing your error in not including the fact that you did have convictions that you did not disclose. You should then detail all your convictions and if needed submit an amended form including the details regarding your conviction. Please see following link for the form :

htt p://,d.d2k

The problem is that without a reference number or an address you would not know where to send the letter and the amended application form. But you must inform the ukba before they make a decision on your application. You should now try and disclose your offences and send the letter to the embassy or high commission and quote your name, this should be done as soon as possible, otherwise your application may be refused.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would it be best option for me to withdraw my application and file a new application with everything being declared?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes this maybe another option but only if a decision has not yet been made on your application, if it has then it maybe too late. You should therefore decide what you wish to do sooner rather than later.

I hope this clarifies the matter if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards