How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Max Lowry Your Own Question
Max Lowry
Max Lowry, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1457
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Max Lowry is online now

How do I apply to the court to adjourn the hearing pending

Customer Question

How do I apply to the court to adjourn the hearing pending information I've asked the claimant to provide in order for me to pay the debt they say I owe.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry : Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question. Make the application on Form N244 and submit it to court with a fee for £80. Ask the court to deal with the matter on paper to save time and costs. You could also ask the court for a direction that the matter be listed for a hearing only after the other party has provided the information you require about the debt. Before you file the application into court contact the other side and tell them you are making an application to adjourn the hearing on the basis you are waiting for information and invite them to consent to the adjournment and confirmation it will provide the information requested by a certain date. If they consent to adjourn you still need to make the application to court but the court fee will be £40. Tell them that unless they consent to the adjournment you will ask the court to make an order for costs against them due their unreasonable position. If they refuse to consent send a copy of your correspondence exchanged with them to court with your application for the adjournment. This will show the court you have tried to be reasonable.