How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

My wife started to have blackouts at 10+ years old, she was

Customer Question

My wife started to have blackouts at 10+ years old, she was taken to have an EEG to check out her condition and the result came back as Epileptic. She was sent to see a Psychiatrist instead of a neurologist in Derby, where she was diagnosed with Epilepsy. My wife had passed her 11+ exams to go the grammar school, but shortly after going there social services sent her to a school for delicate children instead. My wife as never had an Epileptic fit in her life, so how could the NHS or Social Service diagnose her to be Epileptic? My wife has Panic attacks and nothing else, this as been stated by three neurologists and a surgeon who offered to operate on myself.
I found my wife in a centre known as The XXXXX XXXXX Centre for Epilepsy in Cheshire, where I went to have tests done for my own Epilepsy, this is where I realized that my wife dose not have Epilepsy as she only black out when she goes near the Iron, Cooker, Under the do-ova cover in bed, where ever there is too much heat. or where she can get out of breath. That's what triggers my wifes fits and not Epilepsy. What can we do to sort this case out
My name isXXXXX:- 01274 675721
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

-What exactly are you trying to achieve?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My wife was told by the School for delicate children, that she should be left in Derby to life a normal life and not be institutionalied like she was for 17 years, as a result my wife as lost over 17 years of income, through institutionalism, and is now just beginning to start to get to a state where she can go back out on her own without having a carer around her after 18 years learning to go out on the streets again, has she as never had a Psychologist or a social worker to show what to do.


I do believe she deserves compensating for that don't you?

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
OK. I understand and I'm sorry to hear about this situation. It must have been very traumatic for your wife.

If a misdiagnosis did occur as a result of which your wife was incorrectly treated then she may be able to claim compensation for any loss she has suffered.

Normally you have to make a claim within 3 years but it may be possible in some exceptional cases to make a claim even after the time limit has passed.

Its impossible at the moment whether your wife has a valid claim but the comments you've made suggest this is something worth investigating. To start a case, however, you will need the help of a solicitor - we cannot help you make a claim as we only offer advice on-line. To find a solicitor in your area you should speak to the Law Society on 0207 242 1222.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your advice, I'll get in tough with the Law society ASAP


All my best


Stephen Greenwood


Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
OK Good Luck!