How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49836
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have been working providing the catering on a film starting

Customer Question

I have been working providing the catering on a film starting on 20th May. I have a purchase order for the duration of the film which was supposed to run until the 28th June. On Monday 3rd June, the production was halted, without warning, as the main investor had stopped the funds that were promised to pay the running costs of the production. There was talk of a post dated cheque that meant to be honoured today, but I have just been informed that it has not gone through.
Most of the crew etc received payment (wages) for the first week. I submitted an invoice for week one and two and have not be paid anything.
The Producer has said that he is going after this investor in the courts, but I want to know if I can go after the production company to get my money?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Who was your contract with?
JACUSTOMER-3za61q0f- :

The contract was with Artifice films Ltd

Ben Jones :

You can only pursue the party with which you had a contract. If that is Artifice then that is the company you are able to chase. It may be that they had their own agreement with the other parties involved in this matter but that does not mean you can chase them directly because your dispute is one of breach of contract which means you need a contract and as such can only sue the party who you had a contract with. You need to check whether the payment you are after was conditional on anything but if that is not the case then you would be able to pursue them for it. If you wish to make a claim you would be doing so by going to where you can fill out the necessary documentation online.

JACUSTOMER-3za61q0f- :

Thanks. What about compensation? The contract was for 6 weeks filming, and like I said, it was abruptly stopped without warning after 2 weeks. Would it be advisable to claim for as much as possible?

Ben Jones :

was there a notice period specified in it in case of termination?