How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I am about to complete my divorce from my husband and we have

Customer Question

I am about to complete my divorce from my husband and we have agreed that his name will be removed from the House deeds as part of an agreed financial package. There is still a mortgage on the propery and his name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage. How do I go about this process to avoid expensive legal costs, or have i no choice but to engage a lawyer for it?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.
Has the mortgage lender agreed for you to take it over??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

There is no legal reason why you cannot DiY on this BUT I am going to be frank with you: do yourself a favour and get a solicitor to do it. Expect to pay about £300 plus vat. Shop around for a price. You need to sign forms TR1 and AP1 and submit to Land Registry with ID1 which needs photo certifying by solicitor. The lender needs to join in the transfer.

Seriously, if you don’t want grief, don’t DiY

Can I help further?

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want to hear).
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. I
t doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.