How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

hi i need help with a welfare benefits problem. my wife is

Customer Question

hi i need help with a welfare benefits problem. my wife is disabled and currently on dla, now she was on the higher rates of care and mobility, now she is on high rate mobility low rate care, thus this means as my wifes carer i have been sacked,yet she still needs care, the dla did not use the right information and have changed the qualifying criteria without changeing the forms, we are being forced to go to a tribunal and can not find help with legal advice as legal aid has been changed for welfare benefits. can you help also we now have to pay 25% bedroom tax but have not received any notifaction from housing benefits so now are £508 in arrears where do we stand on that.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Are you asking if you are liable to pay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for jomo 1972

hi for housing benefit i will have to pay, but i need to know the rules as housing benefit haven't contacted me to inform me about anything. yet are charging me even though they havent informed this legal.


as for the dla, i have lost my carers allowence, immediately, i lose income support 21june, my wife's dla goes from high rate care to low rate resulting in loss of job. but dla didn,t use up to date info, they used the atos doctor's opinion rather than fact, and using dla forms means you are guaranteed to lose as they seem to use pip rules which are different, even if you still get dla until 2015. plus in the decision they say care is now more personal and intimate , yet it does not say that in the forms or rules, yet i do a lot of the personal stuff, but atos decided my wife dosent need it when she doe's. how do i stand

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Do you accept that you were overpaid housing benefit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no as i was and still am entitled to housing benefit

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

I thought you accepted that the bedroom tax would adversely affect you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i does affect me, but i havent been overpaid as i am still on benefits due to looking after my wife. you don't seem to of read the question .

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I've read what you've written but I'm afraid it doesn't immediately make sense.

On the one hand you accept the bedroom tax affects you but on the other you say you haven't been overpaid?

I'm sorry if I'm missing the point.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this is mainly about the dla not the bedroom tax.

as for the bedroom tax you need to read the new rules as you don't understand the question which is quite simple

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I think I'm going to opt out now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i won't be paying for this