How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Im renting a flat with other person and lately I found out

Customer Question

I`m renting a flat with other person and lately I found out that she wasn`t paying council tax for the property. As we divided between each other responsibility of paying the bills she was responsible for paying council tax which I was giving her my share of the payment. The situation right now is that we are having almost £5000 outstanding balance as it looks that she wasnt paying that at all. Can you please advise me what I can do in that kind of situation to protect my stuff and belongings.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is there a liability order yet please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes we get a few notices that we need to pay off the outstanding balance or the belongings will be taken

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Can I presume you are only one year in arrears?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Actually we renting this house since august 2008 and it looks like since 2009 the council tax hasn`t been paid

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Is the other tenant working?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Ultimately you are jointly liable for council tax. There's no way around it unfortunately. The fact that you paid her and she has behaved irresponsibly is not a defence.

You should speak to the council and explain your position. They may well tell you its too late but, in fact, they do control their bailiffs so it might be useful.

Also, speak to the bailiffs and make arrangements to pay.

You can recover the sums you've paid by suing the tenant here

if she is working then it is likely that you would be able to recover the money.

In the meantime, do not let the bailiffs into your house if they attend and park your car many streets away.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.