How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello,I am likely to be the defendant in a criminal law case

Customer Question

I am likely to be the defendant in a criminal law case which will be very expensive, especially if I lose. My wife is the main wage earner and I'm not eligible for legal aid although I am unemployed and am raising our young children. My wife and I own our home jointly and I don't want to lose it to pay potential solicitors costs, especially as our home is likely to become part of our children's educational funding if we sell in the future and buy a cheaper home. We have talked about divorcing in order to relieve her of any burden.

What would you advise?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Would you mind giving me a summary of the allegation made against you? Just one or two sentences will be fine. Please don't put yourself to detail.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Historical sexual assault made 15 years ago by a former step-daughter. Am due to attend police station tomorrow with my solicitor in response to CPS sending file back after further enquiries. No reason given to solicitor, but she assumes I will be charged.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

That probably going to the Crown Court then if you are charged.

Are you asking whether you will get legal aid?

Sorry for the delay. I was travelling back.