How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have two sons 22 years and 19 years. Their non-resident

Customer Question

I have two sons 22 years and 19 years. Their non-resident father sends £200 per month to the youngest son who is studying in Cambridge. The older son who has a brain tumour and consequentially severe epilepsy is studying Speech and Drama in a private college. As a teacher I put my sons through private education without any extra help with school fees from their father. I was made redundant in August 2012 and struggle financially now being underemployed. I would like my ex-husband to recognise his oldest son's achievements (he is just finishing his second year of a three year course) by helping him financially. I am carrying his living accomodation costs alone of £100 per week. Is there any way I could get him to pay half of this, which I think is fair as my oldest son is not in a position to get a loan himself. His college is not recognised by the government yet. My ex lives in Berlin, Germany.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but need some further information first.
Are both your son's at college in the Uk and where did you last live together as a family?
Which country do you live in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Both my sons are at College in the UK. We lived together as a family in Germany where my sons were born. I returned to the UK in 1997 with my then young sons. My ex-husband is German and he divorced me in 2005. I had had a court case in Germany where they allowed me to return to the UK with my sons. I now live in England. My sons return to me in the vacation times from their respective Colleges.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
In that case whilst you cannot make any applications at all your sons can make applications to the Courts in the UK under Schedule 1 of the Children Act for maintenance whilst they are in full time education
The orders that they obtain can be enforce in Germany using the Reciprocal Enforcement system here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information