How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Hi I just moved house, the reason for move is that the landlord

Customer Question

I just moved house, the reason for move is that the landlord had auctioned the property. He did give us a notice of 2 months to leave.
I have been at the property in multiple occupancy for the last 9 years. The house was old when we moved in, but in the last 9 years the landlord did not make any repairs. We as a result lived in a run down house; leaking roof, leaking ceiling, leaking bathroom, collapsed ceiling in the bathrooms, moldy walls, rat infested. The house was also exhibiting subsidence, so much so that the kitchen floor had gaps(the beams moved apart). The landlord was made aware of all of these on a number of occasions, so were there agents some time ago.
6 people lived at the property, but the landlord only chose to have two on the contract as their bank balances were better. The house had serious health and saftey issues in terms of electrics, and the radiators simply did not work, and were faulty. The house had never been in a lettable state.
Recently after the move the landlord decided to keep the deposit (that was held under the scheme) as the house was not completely cleared on move. He also started to accuse us for a pay as you go electric meter that went missing after we had moved out, despite us handing the property in working order with everything intact.
I am angry that he got away with so much and would like to know if their is a potential case against him.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer
would not be accurate.

Have you got all yr deposit back? What do you want to claim for? Have you now moved out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Law,


No I have not got any of my deposit back and yes I have moved.

I want you to tell me what my options are with regards to legal action. I would like to sue him on grounds of letting the place in uninhabitable condition. please advice with respect to details provided earlier.

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

You can sue him for the deposit back.

You can sue him for any losses you suffered.

It isnt worth sueing for stress,inconveneince etc.

Can I answer specific points?