How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can I get get a retraining order against my daughters boyfriend

Customer Question

Can I get get a retraining order against my daughters boyfriend who is emotionally controlling & manipulating her. She is 15 and he is 17 years old and my daughter is in a vunerable place both at school & at home at present. she still wants to see him but we do not want the situation to esculate any further, she has been escaping out of the house in the night to see him,saying she has been at a girl friend house for a sleepover and we subsequently find out she has been with him. We also know he has hit her twice.
The police have been called as she went missing for a whole night and they eventually found both of them, social services are involved as it is destroying our family life and we do not want this to affect our other daughter who is nearly 17. We know they are in sexual relationship and they have had unprotected sex, any advice would be welcomed
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I am sorry that I cannot give you good news.

Unless she herself is willing to seek a non molestation order one is not available. You cannot apply her on behalf. It is going to take more than emotional abuse in any event.

What you can get is an injunction to prevent him attending your property as that is within your control.

Obviously if they are having sex then that is unlawful but she would have to complain and even then given their ages it is by no means guaranteed there would be a prosecution. There would be a prosecution for the violence if she complains.

To be wholly honest though, even if you could get an order if she is encouraging contact it wouldn't be worth very much I'm afraid.

I'm very sorry as I know this is bad news.