How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I have just bought a property and have used all my cash for

Customer Question

I have just bought a property and have used all my cash for a deposit. Would I be entitled to income support and housing benefit.also what questions will I be asked by the dihss
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are you presently employed? Do you have any dependents?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not employed I don't have any dependents. I had money saved for deposit also my mother and friends helped me to raise all the deposit I needed.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
OK thanks.

How will you pay the monthly repayments?

What is the value of the property?

How much is the total mortgage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ii have applied for jobs.85 thousand.47 thousand owed.can I also ask is the total amount for questions £47.i don't wish to sign up for monthly fees. Just this one of payment.thank you.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

You can apply for Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support and Housing Benefit while you are unemployed.

But whether you will actually receive any money will depend on a calculation of savings and capital, including equity in your property.

Obviously you will have to disclose the ownership of your house and the equity in the house when you make a claim.

To get a better idea you can use the Benefits Adviser online which is provided by the Government.

Here is a link for your use:

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that you are not entitled to Housing Benefit since that is for Rent rather than for Mortgage payments
Unless you have children I am afraid that it is unlikely that you will receive any payments to cover your mortgage.
You may however be eligible for Job seekers allowance
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

Just to clarify the helpful information from my colleague:

If you are living in your mortgaged property you will not be able to get housing benefit. HB does not help with mortgage repayments.

If are living elsewhere and paying rent you might be able to get assistance but it really depends on a full assessment of your financial circumstances.

Nonetheless you could still apply for JSA/Income Support. To get a better idea of your entitlements you should use the online benefits adviser link that I sent you earlier.

Please remember to rate my answer. I am happy to discuss the issues further.