How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34888
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I have a 3 yr old son who lives with me, his dad had

Customer Question


I have a 3 yr old son who lives with me, his dad had a parential responsibility document threw the courts. Im not exactly sure what this means and what rights it gives him. Ie: choice of schools, childcare and things like, can he have his haircut without my say so. He lives permantly with me and his dad had contact once a week, but he has not had any overnight contact yet
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise
you fully.

What does the document say?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Gives him parential responsibility, and outlines contact arrangements. I have already given him abit more time than the court papers say. Ie: he was supposed to have him on 1 day over every weekend between 10 and 4pm. I have been flexible with him and he has him from 9am and I say he needs to b bk b4 bedtime at 7. He wanted parential responsibility as he wasnt named on the birth certificate. The reason fot that was he ended the relationship when he found out I was pregnant. When i went to the csa, he decided he wanted contact. The contact with my son is going well. My son came back from his dads on saturday with his hair cut short, and after the last time he had his hair cut i told him not to do it again. He has had a day a week contact for a cpl of months now. If he wanted him over night would he be entitled to that. What sort of time scale would I b looking at for him to stop at his dads? and do I have the right 2 ask to look at my sons sleeping arrangements ie: his bed and room.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Since your ex has Parental Responsibility for the Child he has the right to be consulted on all major issues in the child's life such as which school he goes to in due course.
He also has the right to speak to the school, the child carer and any medical professionals involved in the child's life.
If there is a dispute between you as to what is best for the child then he can apply to the court and ask a judge to decide the issue
The hair cut issue is more complex.
Legally he can certainly consent to it - but that is the kind of issue which should be left to you as the day to day carer of the child.
If he does do this and it causes you distress then you would need to apply to the court for a specific issue order.
You can read more about PR here
I hope that this is of assistance.