How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

Recently wrote a letter for my fiancé stating for the intention

Customer Question

Recently wrote a letter for my fiancé stating for the intention to get married to the home office because her passport is in the home office. Re: Require certification and photo copy version of my passport and letter stating passport is with UKBA. Application for Appeal for leave to remain under Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) of the points based system.

When we contacted the Croydon Registrar office to give notice for wedding and we were advised that one of documents required is a passport. My passport has sent back to UKBA for an appeal to leave to remain under Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) of the points based system.

The Croydon Registrar office advice me to get a certification of my passport from the UKBA. I have sent for appeal at the UKBA in order for me to get marriage date. If I got a solicitor to ask for my passport from the UKBA and start my process to get married here and apply for spouse visa from uk is that possible under human rights.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.

Hi welcome to Just Answer. I am not clear what your issues is here. There are two separate points - the formalities of getting married and your or your fiancé's immigration status. You do not need to get permission to marry in the UK anymore even if you are subject to immigration restrictions but everyone is required to provide certain information including evidence of their nationality - so if you have not got your passport you need to produce a certified copy or ask the registrar if any other evidence is acceptable. There is no human rights or other issue her - it is the same for everyone. I appreciate you have an administrative hassle but you will have to get your passport back or get a copy. What questions do you have about the spouse visa and your fiancé's immigration position?