How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

my current husband (second marriage) asked me to invest £250.000

Customer Question

my current husband (second marriage) asked me to invest £250.000 on our new house but in his will he is leaving it to his children. He says its only a loan and that he is going to give the money back to me in five years. I have to children from my first marriage and would like to know what can I do to protect my investment.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question. If the house is in his sole name then you should either have a proper loan secured by a charge or the house should be put into joint names. If you make a substantial financial commitment to the matrimonial home then you ought to be entitled to a share in it and indeed have a claim to occupancy. You could own it as " tenants in common' so that he can leave his interest to his children but give you a right to occupy it and leave your interest to your children.

I would advice you very very strongly not to invest the sort of sum you are talking about without proper documentation

I would see a solicitor to get it sorted out properly