How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Have been told I have asbestos in my lungs caused through working

Customer Question

Have been told I have asbestos in my lungs caused through working on steam engines from 1947 -1965 working for British Rail, which was lagged with asbestos,would like to know how I go on about making a claim for compensation.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

In order to claim compensation for this you would have to consider making a personal injury claim against your ex-employer. However, you cannot claim unless you have suffered some medical condition as a result of this, the most common being mesothelioma. The time limit for claiming is 3 years from the date you have been diagnosed with the condition you are claiming for.

In order to claim you would need to first get a report from a medical professional, which confirms that you are suffering from an asbestos-related disease.

Whilst there is nothing stopping you from making the claim yourself, not everyone may find the legal process easy and as such you may wish to consider getting in touch with a specialist personal injury solicitor who can take the claim further for you. There are plenty of these around and a quick search on Google for "asbestos injury lawyers" will reveal plenty of results from which you can choose.

Ben Jones :

Has this answered your query?

JACUSTOMER-t3kz13w3- :

this was not the information I required, I thought there would have been a bit more information on how to proceed,not justto tell me to search the internet, I feel it does not warrant the £33 POUNDS FEE.

Ben Jones :

I can tell you what you need to do to submit the claim form but as mentioned you may not want to do that yourself and would rather get a solicitor involved to act for you?