How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was raped by a married man two years ago. After that he

Customer Question

I was raped by a married man two years ago. After that he said he will get divorced and marry me. I didnt accuse him. We keep sex relationship for two years. But later I found it was all his scam. Now do I still have right to sue him? What evidence should I provide and how much chance to win the case?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Sorry for the delay overnight.

Are you asking whether you can report it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

report to whom? Can I go to court with him? sue him?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What can I do? report to whom and go to court with him? any evidence should I provide?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

You can always make a report of a rape to the police. Stale allegations are fairly common so that will not be a problem.

I am sorry to say though that the chances of a conviction and or even a charge are low. Stale allegations involve a prosecution where all the evidence is lost.

Thats not to say that it cannot happen but brace yourself for the worst

You can also consider suing. If this took place more than 6 years ago then you will be time barred under the limitation act. You can make an application to extend time under s33 but its w. high test. There will also be costs involved as legal aid may not be available

If you do win the award would be fairly high.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I report of a rape to the police after two years, will the police involve in the case or just listening to the story. Will the police believe the rape after we had the sex relationship for two yerars. and also can I sue him scam the others feeling as a married man?

I knew this guy only for two weeks, he share the flat with me. he cheated me that he was single. I didrnt know what's his name. One night he texted me that he asked me go to his room and say without me he couldnt fall in sleep he wants my cuddle. I ignored him. After that he went to my room and had a sex with me also I say no no... and after that I cryied. He said he will responsible for me and got divorced and married me. so I didnt accuse him. Is it belong to rape?

or scam? If I report, will the police in charge this case? I still keep the text message he sent to me that night.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Im afraid that the fact you had a subsequent relationship with him will weaken any allegation of rape to the police or the civil court
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In this matter, I think I am a injured party and feel horrible and painful at moment. Can you give me some advice what I can do. Many thanks.!!!

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I do understand that. Ultimately we are all restricted by the law.

There are no other options than the ones above im afraid