How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have been served with a notice to attend court on 17 July

Customer Question

I have been served with a notice to attend court on 17 July to attend a return of goods hearing regarding my car. Do I need to get a solicitor involved on my behalf as I do not want to lose the car and am in a position to pay all outstanding arrears and also to pay up to three monthly instalments in advance.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law
Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been
an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you
appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a
variety of subjects.

Because we are all in
practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and
weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

So why haven't you
paid all the arrears (which you are going to have to pay anyway) and made the
advance payment?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I called the finance company who said that it was out of their hands and when I contacted their solicitor they did not answer.

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

That doesn't answer my question as to why you have not paid already.

Remember that this is money that you owe so you are not in a particularly good bargaining position

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I initially fell behind because I had been out of work for over a year. As I said before I have contacted them to make payment and they said they cannot accept it as it is out of their hands.


Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

So why don't you just send the cheque to their solicitors or send a cheque to the finance co? You can pay direct, you must have their bank details from previous payments

Bear in mind that you do owe this money