How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Hello, I am come from Barcelona Spain , married to a British

Customer Question

Hello, I am come from Barcelona Spain , married to a British in Uk for 14 years, I had always keep my Spanish name, surname and passport but leaving in Uk make it a bit hard as I become Miss and not Mrs and for banking and my children which they born in Uk for school, doctors, travelling abroad etc people get confuse as I keep my surname and my children are keeping my husband's name also my husband would like me to honour him taking his surname , how can I do this and become Mrs ....
Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
in the UK you are free to call your self what ever you wish as long as it is not for the purpose of fraud etc.

The normal practice for bank accounts etc is simply to send the a copy of your marriage certificate and ask them to change your name on the account , the same applies with driving licenses tax offices etc. So far as other less bureaucratic institutions like doctors and schools are concerned you can simply tell them you wish to be know by you married name in future.

If you wish to change your name on you passport again normally you would apply producing your marriage certificate

Many women use both their married and their maiden surname depending on the circumstances.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated. If you still need help with your question, please feel free reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,