How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

company are claiming I owe them money, which I have disputed

Customer Question

company are claiming I owe them money, which I have disputed as they have failed to provide any documents relating to the alleged debt. they began an action in small claims court but have still not shown any proof or responded to my defence and so the order has been stayed. one of the queries I raised was with regards XXXXX XXXXX entitlement to record an entry on my credit file, and to charge interest on the alleged debt - 4 months ago the amount was X, 3 months ago it was £0, at the end of last month it was X plus £ 1000! obviously should they prove that the money is owed to them I have no issue paying, but is it lawful to continue adding interest and charges while the matter is in dispute
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What is the debt for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont know, I have no previous dealings with the company and they have ignored all previous attempts to get information from them

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

I'm afraid my signal keeps dropping out and I would ask that you bear with me for an hour. I should then should be then be home and have a stable connection. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thats ok

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the time.

I see you haven't yet rated several previous answers so I would be grateful if you could do that now.

Also, is it likely that this could be a debt collection company chasing in a debt that you do recognise?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its possible but as I said, they have not provided any documents relating to the debt so I have no way of knowing that they bave a rightful claim. regardless, the credit reporting shows the balance not changing for a year then all of a sudden it goes up by £1000 despite the account being in dispute

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I will opt out for you as I cannot do better than my colleagues have done.

The question is visible to others now.

All the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you cannot do better than your colleagues have done?? youre the only one who answered...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.