How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, please can you help me. I am in private rented accomodation,

Customer Question

Hello, please can you help me. I am in private rented accomodation, the landlord manages the property him self. He is continually turning up after 9pm at night with excuses to come into the property. I have asked him not to. Last night, he turned up at 9pm, I was in bed unwell with asthma due to the unexpected building work he has been doing in the kitchen (knocking down walls and ceilings). I therefore can't stay down stairs as I get far too wheezy. Anyway, I was upstairs, and at 21:20 after not answering at 21:00 he let him self in with a key. His excuse was this time to mow the lawn. He knows I have young children and vulnerable on my own as my husband passed away. I was terrified and told him to leave, which he did. I am now sitting at work but feel like I need to leave as I don't feel well at all, I am shaking and nervous, and so scared he will do the same again. I did call the police last night, but didn't get any sleep after that due to stress and anxiety, my asthma is now worse than ever.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is an assured short hold tenancy, started on the 23rd November 2013 for 12 months. I can't stay any longer.

Section 4.3.10 has been broken, "permit the landlord or his agents or others, after giving 24 hours written Notice and at reasonable hours of the daytime to enter the property"

Section 5.2 - To allow the Tenant quiet enjoyment of the Property during the tenancy without any unlawful interruption from the landlord or any person lawfully claiming to be under his trust for the landlord

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Are you asking if you can stop him doing this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, how do I stop him? I have asked him too, I have emailed him to stop and he continues.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the information and for the time. The ipad is slow.

A landlord is entitled to reasonable access to his property. What is reasonable access is always a question of fact.

He can certainly enter to do remedial work to your property but not decoration save for certain exceptions.

He should give you no less than 48 hours notice by some received means.

If he has not done that then you can refuse him access. Pressing ahead will amount to trespass for which you can sue.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.