How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

My wife (a Thai citizen) currently has ILR and has been resident

Customer Question

My wife (a Thai citizen) currently has ILR and has been resident for over three years and qualify s for naturalisation. She will be applying for naturalisation in the next two weeks. We are planning to go to Thailand in late August/early September and she may not return to the UK for a few months (maybe not until April 2014). Will this effect her naturalisation application? Can she still be awarded citizenship even if she is out of the country or will she need to be in the UK for it to be awarded? Will she need to attend a citizenship ceremony in the UK in order to complete the process? Many thanks Julian
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

As at the date of the application she should not have been absent from the UK for more than 270 days in the last 3 years. In other words the residence requirements relate to the date of application. However she will have to be present in the UK for the citizenship to be awarded at a ceremony. She also has to be available to respond to any issues that might arise during the application process.

If I were in your position, I would consider delaying the trip until the application is granted and the ceremony is celebrated,bit it would not be absolutely necessary as long as you can satisfy the need to be available to respond to any issues arising in the application.

Page 20 onwards of this leaflet might be of help to you:

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If we use the checking service provided by local authorities, will we be able to reduce the likelihood of clarification questions?


How long to applications generally take to process? is there any way of speeding the application process?


She definitely qualify s - she is under the 270 day limit for being out of the uk over three years.

Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
The checking service would certainly weed out mistakes or omissions in the form and would mean that her documents, including passport, would not have to be sent away, but I'm thinking more of the situation where the police or other representative may want to do an interview. Your wife would have to be available for that.

The time to process an application varies and depends on the individual application and how many other application are being dealt with at the time. There is no way of speeding up the process. Most applications are dealt with within six months.
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know if I can assist you further. Otherwise I would be grateful if you would leave positive feedback on the system so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What clarifications might the police or others want? We are a very respectable couple with a high income and are property owners by the way!
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
They do an interview for that very reason; to check that you are respectable and are suitable to be granted citizenship.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there, we have nearly completed the form but need to clarify a couple of things:


1. My cousin is married to a professor who has known my wife since she came to the uk. If he is related to me by marriage can he be her referee?

2. My wife would like to take my surname - up until now we haven't sorted this out because of fear of having to change 2 sets of docs in two countries - is it very difficult to arrange? Do you think its worth the hassle?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no problem with advice just need a quick answer so I'm putting the questions out to someone who is online now
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

1. The professor cousin will be an acceptable reference.

2. The name change can be done by deed poll. This is a straightforward process involving one document, which can be sent to all relevant organisations to change her name on their systems.

Please remember to rate my answer. I am happy to answer follow up questions for free.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer so that I am credited for my time.