How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was convicted on a crime largely based upon perjury by one

Customer Question

I was convicted on a crime largely based upon perjury by one of the witensesses. I have the orgibnal SD card showing he lied to the court. Can you help me in bringing cahrges against him and clering my naame?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I explained!!! I was recently convicted of harrassment against my neighbours. My neighbours lied. I have avideo recording of the neighbours son threatening me and being abusive to me. In his police statement and his claims to the court, he lied. When asked to explain the discrepancy between his evidence and the video, he said 'he must have edited the video'. Th court believed him but, I assure you, I did not edit the video. I have the origninal memory card and a co puet expert will show that I did nit edit the video. I said this to the Magistrates. Depsite this, the magistartes decided I wa scapable of editing videos (which I am not) and convicted me. I amfurios and distressed. I now have a suspended prsuon sentence largely based upon lies by the major witness against me.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
How does a video of his son being abusive support your defence to harassment please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he does nor realise that I was already recording him with my video camera in my top pocket, already turned on. He thinks I strted recording him when I produced the camera in frontot of hi. His claim to the police and court is that I 'gthreatened him cried on a recycle bin( I do not even have a recyle bin), swore at him for 2 minutes and so on. None of this is on the video. he claimed in courst that I must have edidetd out hese bits. It is not true. I have no ability to edit videos. I have the original Me3mory card and any co puet expert will say it was not editede. I am furious with the ignorant magistrated concluding the he told the truth and that I was capable of editing videos. Please note, his stsrer is a police officer Nad I belive has had unfair influence.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Compuetr expert....

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.

His connection to the police might have had an influence. That doesn't necessarily mean they are not free to convict.

If this is a conviction if the magistrates court then you have 21 days to appeal to the crown court from the date of sentence. This is an automatic appeal and there is no need for leave.

The issue is not really leave but whether there is a reasonable chance of success. In fairness, it wouldn't be the first time magistrates have convicted a person who should have been acquitted.

I don't know what the relevance of this particular incident is overall? There must have been another incident to make up a course of conduct if this a harassment. Otherwise it should have been a s5 or s4 public order.

You can get an expert to look at the footage that is played but whether they can say whether its ever been edited is open to question.

Also, you need to get the clerks notes of the reasons for this conviction. If they are not accepting editing but saying that events could have taken place off camera then thats not something that any expert can comment upon.

Thats not to say you shouldn't appeal but narrow the appeal to relevant facts.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wish to proceed. he lie to the court and. It is a serious crime - perjury. can you help?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Yes, what else did you want to know?