How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My partner is a discharged Bankrupt. The Insolvancy Service

Customer Question

My partner is a discharged Bankrupt. The Insolvancy Service have 3 years in which to ask for payment of debt finishing Feb 2014. They have contacted us 7 months from the 3 year deadline. Asking for valuations on the property and upto date value of the Mortgage outstanding. We are currently gathering this information.
The property is in joint names as is the mortgage.
What am I leagally entitled to clain for?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
What can you prove that you personally have paid for in terms of alteration or improvements or the mortgage
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mortgage is in joint names. Deeds to property in both names. Could produce bank statement showing monies transferes to joint bank account for payment of mortgage/bills etc


Have already spoken to our Accountant and he is of the opinion that we need a £figure given to us by the Insolvancy agency as at the moment no total amount debt owed to creditorshas been given.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage
What have YOU alone paid for - if anything?