How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

hello, earlier this year I was admitted to hospital and spent

Customer Question

earlier this year I was admitted to hospital and spent a week under critical care due to being prescribed the wrong medication by my doctor who was managing my ongoing kidney disease.
In seeking clarification as to why the drugs were prescribed the doctor has admitted that he was at fault ( I have this in writing).
I am seeking compensation for the doctors actions and would like to know how to move forward with this.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. The first step in any successful action for medical negligence against a doctor is to obtain a supporting expert medical report which states that there was negligence on the part of the doctor. This is necessary as in order to be able to issue medical negligence proceedings, it is a pre-requisite that a supporting expert medical report be served with the proceedings setting out the negligence shown. Accordingly, at this stage, you need to either obtain such an expert medical report yourself or else get yourself a solicitor who will obtain such a report on your behalf. This rule applies irrespective of the fact that the doctor has admitted fault, as the doctors insurers will require an expert medical report before they will settle the claim. So get yourself a solicitor and get an expert medical report supporting your case of negligence on the part of the doctor.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid