How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My 10 year old son is accused of molesting an 8 year old friend-

Customer Question

My 10 year old son is accused of molesting an 8 year old friend- I m being visited by social services next week - do I need a legal representative to be with me ? I m convinced of his innocence .
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

The presence of a lawyer is optional.

As no proceedings have been started yet having a lawyer is not essential for this meeting.

You can have a lawyer if you wish but you may find that you will have to pay for their service.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank your for your question I shall do my best to assist you
There is nothing to be gained form having legal representation present.
This is not a criminal investigation (if he is to be questioned by the police in the future then YES get a lawyer)
This will be as much about what happens in your household as what is alleged to have happened between these two children.
Social Services will wish to understand where whatever prompted whatever happened came from.
Co-operate and keep your temper - beleive me they will test your patience but you must stay clam and encourage your son to talk freely to them
You may wish to speak to the Family Rights Group first -
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information