How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

hi, I am currently in a business partnership as a 50% owner.

Customer Question

I am currently in a business partnership as a 50% owner. Myself and my business are in dispute in lot of areas and he has become unreasonable to compromise or excpeting responsibilities.

Therefore I would like to leave the business by selling my share. what i would like to know is what are my rights on selling.

If he does not want to buy me out, can i sell my share to anyone who wishes to buy without his consent?

If i cant find a buyer can i take 50% of the assets and leave and set up on my own?

we do not have a partnership agreement.


Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

When did you form the partnership?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the partnership was formed in February 2010

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

assume that this is indeed a partnership and not a limited company.

If you
do not have a partnership agreement, then the partnership is governed by the
1890 Partnership Act.

is no provision in the Act for retirement/resignation or death of one of the
partners. In that case, the partnership is dissolved and the assets sold off
unless you can come to another agreement.

is no provision, in the absence of you agreeing it between you, for one of you
to take the assets over or to sell your partnership to someone else.

is nothing to stop you leaving and setting up on your own, as indeed there is
nothing to stop him. The assets however, would have to be sold on the open
market, but you would be free to buy those.

appreciate that this is not the answer you wanted but there is no point in me
misleading you. I have a duty to advise you truthfully and honestly, even if
that answer is unfavourable.

that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?

Please don't forget to
positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You
should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating
my answer service.

I am
off-line shortly but will pick this up later because I am on and off-line each
day and weekend so please bear with me.