How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10974
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I have a boat which went if for cleaning over the winter. When

Customer Question

I have a boat which went if for cleaning over the winter. When the boat was returned the autohelm unit was full of water. It has a waterproof case.

I was going to write the follwing letter to the boatyard. Can you please advise

I am sorry to have to write to you on this matter but but I have now had the Autohelm examined at Raymarine.

The unit was damaged by being hosed under pressure. I understand that you pressure washed the cockpit without removing the control unit for the autohelm causing it to be damaged. The unit was found to be full of water.

I therefore need to buy a replacement unit. Unfortunately Raymarine no longer supply parts to repair the damaged unit an Autohelm ST3000.
They have advised replacing it with the SPX5 wheelpilot retails for £1314 , in addition to this it will require fitting ( one days labour for an electrician).

Before I take this matter further can you please advise me as to whether you would be will willing to supply and install this free of charge in view of your negligence.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. This is an excellent letter to write, which would do many lawyers proud. However, you should include an additional line to the effect, that "Failure by you to either supply & install the unit or pay over the costs associated with supplying and installing the unit will result in legal action against you to recoup the monies". Essentially, you need to both give them the option of paying the monies as well as making clear that they will be sued if they do nothing. Essentially, the preferred option, that they supply and install the unit should not be the only one stated in your letter. The company will have insurance issues in dealing with a claim. It may be more cost effective for them either to rectify the damage themselves or else to let a claim be made against their insurance policy. However, you should let them make that decision, not seek to make it for them.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid

JACUSTOMER-3nwziwj2- :

Very unhlepful - it did not anything to what I had already written.

JACUSTOMER-3nwziwj2- :

A shame as in the past I have found your advice most helpful. PLEASE REFUND THE CHARGE YOU MADE