How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have recently got divorced and am in the process of transferring

Customer Question

I have recently got divorced and am in the process of transferring the property, which is paid for and mortgage free, into my wife's name. On form TR1 she has to sign in front of a witness, that's no problem, but on ID1 she has to have her ID checked by a solicitor. How can this be done reasonably quickly and how much would it cost?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Do you have your own solicitor that you used for your divorce?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not use a solicitor for the divorce as it was amicable.....we just followed the Govt guidelines.

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

assume that there is no mortgage. If there is, you are going to be the
solicitor in any event, and it is simply not worth doing it yourself because
you will not save anything because the lender will insist on the solicitor
dealing with the lenders interest.

addition, if there is a lender, you are going to need the lender's consent
which they will not give, unless the remaining owner is good for mortgage

I have
done many ID1 documents in the past, and I charged just 5 pounds. The solicitor
doesn't certify that they know you they only certify that the photograph looks
like you, so there's no reason that anyone cannot deal with it.

troll along with a utility bill and passport and driving licence and
photographs and most solicitors will do it if you just turn up. It is
worthwhile telephoning first to make sure someone is available to deal with it.
Just tell them that you need a conveyancing solicitor to certify an ID1.


Ask the cost. Don't pay more than £10

It takes
under 5 minutes.

that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?

Please don't forget to
positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You
should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating
my answer service.

I am
off-line shortly but will pick this up later because I am on and off-line each
day and weekend so please bear with me.