How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6466
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

Is it illegal for a business to pass on an itemised invoice

Customer Question

Is it illegal for a business to pass on an itemised invoice to other than the paying party?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, please can you explain the situation in more detail?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A hotel has passed on an itemised receipt of mine to my employer payed for by myself on my debit card without my permission.

Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
Was this a business trip booked by the employer in their name? Has the employer requested the invoice?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The employer has requested the itemised invoice which was booked under my name not the companies name,and the hotel has passed it on without my consent.

Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
Ok were you on a business trip? why does the employer want to see the invoice? Is it in connection with an expenses claim ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i was on a business trip,the company never requested itemised receipts but a recent takeover of the company has seen a change in expense policy and now requires itemised,due to an expense audit the company has contacted hotels for itemised bills.

Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks, as the room was booked in your name the hotel should not have provided this information and as it has provided data about you including sensitive personal data without your consent it is in breach of the Data Protection Act. The Information Commissioner can be informed of the breach and it could be fined as a result of the breach. You will find information about reporting and how to contact the Information Commissioner at,uk

Potentially if you can show you have suffered a financial loss as a result of the breach then you could sue them for damages. This would be fairly unusual because you would have to show a real financial loss .

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.