How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35575
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

The council have threatened to terminate my housing benefits

Customer Question

The council have threatened to terminate my housing benefits if I don't produce my grand daughters' birth certificate and proof of child benefit. My daughter and her two children live with me and I qualify for housing benefits as I am a pensioner. My daughter does not claim any benefits from the council so why do I have to produce her personal data to them?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you
I am afraid that the recent changes mean that the Council do indeed top know who is in the property in order that they can be certain that it is fully occupied and that you are therefore entitled to your full benefits
Accordingly if you do not provide the evidence (and it is your claim so you do need to produce the data) then your benefits will be place don hold.
I am sorry that the news is not better please ask if you need further detail