How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My electricity meter was faulty and I have been charged too

Customer Question

My electricity meter was faulty and I have been charged too much by British Gas, after some drama they changed the meter confirming it was inaccurate. They suggest 5% error in my favour, but I challenged this by suggesting it was a FIVE FOLD error. I have paid in excess of £1000 to settle the bill, but I am unhappy with the methodology used. Am I entitled to further challenge them to provide me with details of test methodology for meter, certificate of calibration for tools and test equipment used and competency record of engineer carrying out the test. I believe they have overcharged me to the tune of £750.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Are you prepared to spend money upon suing them please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It will probably cost more than they owe me. will it be beneficial?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
In truth, it may not be. It depends if you want to recover or just make a point.

You can make an application to the court for disclosure of all this material prior to the hearing and generally a court would do so unless its of the view that its completely irrelevant.

If you issue they may well settle.

Since this is likely to be a small claims court sum, its not all that expensive to attend even if you make initial applications for disclosure but its the inconvenience and your time for which you will not recover at the small claims court.

Another option open to you is to complain to the ombudsman which is free to do and they would have to justify their conclusions

Can I clarify anything for you?