How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Received an £100 parking charge notice for overstaying on car

Customer Question

Received an £100 parking charge notice for overstaying on car park by 47 minutes. Do I have to pay this or can I appeal? This is an extortionate amount of money for the time overstayed. I need help don't know what to do or say to Parking Eye.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What's the date of the contravention please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

4 july 2013 14 days to pay discounted charge of £60 ends today

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Are you prepared to risk being sued? It depends really on your appetite for risk.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well no because they could sue me for more couldnt they?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
They could. That is a risk.

There is a good chance they would not and they would only get the sum of the fine plus about £35 in costs but it is an increase.

The only way to avoid that for certain is to pay in full though. Many people do escape parking fines by asking them to prove the sum of their loss and the adequacy of signs but I cannot guarantee success. As with any other legal action there is a chance you would lose.

The short answer is that there are no magic wands that will make this go away for certain but if you are prepared to risk being sued the chances are high you would walk away with nothing. But there is a risk.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

are you sayting the chances of me being sued are high? and what exactly you mean when saying 'walk away with nothing'?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
No, as I said, there is a good chance they would not sue but it cannot be guaranteed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


oh, ok. so what do you suggest is the best way forward from here then? appeal the charge? make them an offer? or just simply ignore it?


Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
It depends whether you are willing to risk going to court.

If you are willing to risk being sued then just ignore them and the chances are they will not. They will send you some very nasty letters though so you will need to withstand that .

If you feel you cannot though then the only safe way is to pay. You could make a lesser offer in full and final settlement but they won't accept that.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated. If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,