How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

My husband left our home after an argument about him being

Customer Question

My husband left our home after an argument about him being unfaithful on 1st June 2013. He has hardly had any contact with me since despite my requests for us to discuss things so we can sort things out properly. In the last few days he has tried to reconcile things with me. I have found out this morning that this is just a cover in order for him to gain access to the house while I'm away next weekend. I have found out that he has hired a van and I suspect he will empty the house of all our possessions. The reason I believe he will do this is because he did exactly this when I met him. He convinced me that the woman he was living with then had given him consent to remove every item of furniture etc. I later found out she knew nothing about it. He removed everything, including ripping down light fittings without making it electrically safe etc.
Please is there any way I can prevent him from doing this until we have agreed the division of our property and jointly owned possessions?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
Who owns the property?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We both do - joint mortgage. It's our marital home. I think he will remove all the contents whilst I'm away from the home. Can I protect the contents?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
If he is determined to do this then there are very few way to stop it
Technically you cannot change the locks - and even if you do he may just break in
You could get someone to house sit - but he can ask them to leave and they would legally have to do so.
The only practical step that you can take is to take pictures of the property which are date marked to prove what was there when you left - and again when you get back.
Write to him this week and warn that you will do this and that you will claim credit for any items removed or damage done from the equity in the house.
You could consider making an application to the court to prevent him from removing the items - but frankly there is no guarantee of success
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,