How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Hello Please can you advise. My husband of 30 years walked

Customer Question

Please can you advise. My husband of 30 years walked out April 2012 I still live in our home that is free of mortgage and in joint names. he asked for a divorce I said no. He has now sent me a solicitors letter saying he wants to sell the house, and if I refuse he will go to court to make me sell.
I thought that he could apply for separation after two years. If I still disagree about the divorce and house sale, then he could get a divorce after five years of separation then the house would have to be sold.
I am 57 and work only 16 hours a week with little savings so I am worried sick about legal costs
please help me
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any children?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Unfortunately your husband could use property law in order to force a sale of the property and there is no defence that you can use in that circumstance.
The only way that you could then achieve a position where you get more than half of the equity would be by starting Divorce Proceedings and making a claim within them in an attemopt to keep the house
I am sorry to give you such bad news but please ask if you need further information
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,