How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

My father in law has just died. He has been estranged from

Customer Question

My father in law has just died. He has been estranged from his wife for 3 years (not divorced). His will leaves no provision for his wife. Approx 2 1/2 years ago his wife's family instructed him and his daughters not to have any further contact with his wife (who was living in a care home; and still is). There is no property involved as the marital home had the deeds severed and was sold 12 months ago with both parties receiving an equal share of the proceeds.
His work pension has no provision after his death and he had small savings of approx £13,000.
Does his wife have any legal entitlement to any of his remaining estate?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
Were their any financial links left between them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

None at all

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Whilst his widow could make a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act it is unlikely that she would be able to make a successful claim against his modest estate
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,