How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

last week i paid £2500 for a used car. Before i paid for the

Customer Question

last week i paid £2500 for a used car. Before i paid for the car i asked about it and asked if it was running ok. The dealer said it was running lovely and that he had driven the car from hitchin herts to boremwood herts so i brought it. on the sales invoice it say's :brought as seen: but on my way home the engine management light came on. so the very next day i phoned the used car garage that i brough the car from and asked them what was wrong with the car and they said nothing was wrong. So i told them that i would b taking the car to a mechanic to look at.
The mechanic advised me to take the car back and get my money back as the fault is an on going problem that the previous owner had tried but failed to get fixed with regards XXXXX XXXXX parts on the car.
In with the owners manual their are old mot's which clearly say that the engine managment light is on and needs looking into
How do i stand about getting a full re-fund
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

When a person buys a second-hand vehicle from a dealer they will have certain rights under consumer law, specifically the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (“CPR”) and the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (“SGA”).

Under the CPR, the following business practices are deemed unfair:

  • Giving false information about the vehicle or deceiving the buyer through false advertising
  • Giving insufficient information to the buyer, for example leaving out important information about the condition of the car
  • Failing to act in good faith

Failure to adhere to the CPR rules will be unlawful and may even amount to a criminal offence.

In addition, the buyer will have certain rights under the SGA which states that a vehicle must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and match its description.

The dealer will only be liable for faults that were present at the time the vehicle was sold, even if they become apparent later on. However, they will not be liable for fair wear and tear, misuse or accidental damage or any issues that were brought to the buyer’s attention before the sale. In addition, if the buyer had inspected the vehicle before purchasing it and should have noticed any obvious faults with it, the dealer will not be liable.

If the vehicle does not meet the above requirements, the buyer can reject the vehicle and return it to the dealer requesting a refund. However, this will need to be done within a ‘reasonable time’, which is usually 3-4 weeks after purchase.

If the buyer is too late to reject the vehicle, they could instead request that it is repaired or replaced without causing significant inconvenience. The dealer may only reject a repair or replacement if it is impossible or disproportionate in the circumstances. If that happens, you are entitled to get it repaired elsewhere and claim back the repair costs, although there is an obvious risk in doing so as there is no guarantee in getting any money back.

If the dealer refuses to resolve this issue, you can technically take legal action against them. However, before going down that route you should try and resolve the issue directly with the dealer by sending them a letter specifying how you want this matter resolved and giving them 14 days to respond. Advise them that if they fail to respond or deal with this in a satisfactory manner, you will have no other option but to report them to Trading Standards and issue legal proceedings to seek compensation.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your query or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,