How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

My daughters neighbour is building an extension to their house

Customer Question

My daughter's neighbour is building an extension to their house in Newport, Gwent. Both houses are semi-detached, with an approximately 3m gap on either side of the boundary line. The building works infill the space on the neighbours side with a 2-storey wall on the line of the party boundary. Without any formal consents the builders have contracted a firm of scaffolders to erect scaffolding on my daughter's property, braced against the side of my daughter's house.

My daughter understands that she must allow reasonable access to enable the buiding works to be undertaken, but the scaffolding has gone up without any proper agreement between the parties. My daughter is due to go on holiday next week and would like to establish a proper agreement about what she is obliged to allow, and what conditions she can impose about the nature of the scaffolding support and the length of time that the scaffolding is allowed to be in position. Can she impose a penalty clause if the agreed period over-runs?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Mollett
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

May I clarify please that the neighbours are building their extension along the boundary line. Is that correct please? From what you say they are also building within three meters of your daughters property?

Josh-2010 :

Have they served a party wall notice on your daughter and if so has your daughter responded?

JACUSTOMER-dz5q9tgd- :

Thank you. Yes, the building is along the boundary line and approximately 3m from my daughter's property, I will check the precise distance. I am clarifying whether a Party Wall Notice has been served or answered and will provide this information asap.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.

JACUSTOMER-dz5q9tgd- :

Building is less than 3m from daughter's house. Yes, Party Wall Notice was issued and agreement to proceed given.

Josh-2010 :

Thank you. Is your daughter only concerned about the scaffolding touching her property?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.

Thank you,