How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

My niece is not allowing me to see my 2x great nieces and great

Customer Question

My niece is not allowing me to see my 2x great nieces and great neph because I've had a dispute with her mum ,my sister is there any way I can see them as we were a really close family b4 this ??
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Aunts and uncles are classed as extended family in exactly the
same way as grandparents are and as such, have no rights.

Even grandparents have no rights unless there is an existing
strong bond

Grandparents have no right of access or contact unless there is
some kind of existing strong relationship such as a grandparent has been a carer for some time. The courts wont grant a right automatically.

This explains


aunts and uncles are treated in exactly the same way I am sorry to
have to tell you.


I obviously do not know went on between you and your niece but if
you continue to bombard her with text messages, or any other kind of message,
there is a possibility that she could refer the matter to the police for them
to issue you a warning under the Protection from Harassment Act. Obviously, I
do not know whether that is a possibility but I mention for completeness.

I am sorry, I appreciate that this is not the answer you wanted
but there is no point in me misleading you. I have a duty to advise you
truthfully and honestly, even if that answer is unfavourable.

that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?

Please don't forget to
positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You
should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively,
then the site keep your deposit and I
get 0 for my time.
It is imperative that you give my answer a positive

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating
my answer service.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
The specific answer to your query and the question of whether or not a court application would be successful depends on the age of the children and the nature of your previous relationship
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,