How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

When staying at her fathers home my 16 year old grand daughter

Customer Question

When staying at her fathers home my 16 year old grand daughter has had her bedroom turned into an office for his partner. My grandaughter has to wait for them to go to bed and has to sleep on the lounge floor. I believe the partner did not like mt grandaughter being in her room so much and has encouraged her father to make the changes. Can they legally treat a 16 year old girl like this she has no where to call her room, she is a very quite girl and dose not want to make a fuss.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
Does your grand daughter still wish to continue seeing her father?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My granddaughter stays with her father every other weekend Friday to Sunday, and part of any school holiday, she is a loving kind girl and tries to keep everyone happy, I am certain she still happy to see her father but at 16 she should be entitled to a room to sleep in and some privacy. What rights does she have.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
The right she has is to say that she does not wish to visit in these circumstances no more and no less.
She cannot be made to visit her father - and frankly in the circumstances of her being made so obviously unwelcome there should be no surprise if she does take that option - it will then be up to her father to decide if he wishes her to stay sufficiently to make a bedroom available to her.
Unfortunately there is no way that she can force him to do so
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,