How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10738
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My ex husband has a charge on my home. Can I start a business,

Customer Question

My ex husband has a charge on my home. Can I start a business, arrange for my home to be bought as my business premises through a business loan and pay off my ex husband's charge?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.


Hi there,


Thanks for your enquiry.


Will you be running your business from home and if so, do you have planning permission to use it on a commercial basis or is your home purely a residential property?


What type of business do you intend to run?


I look forward to hearing from you.


Kin Regards


Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I'm a driving instructor. My home is delapidated because my ex husband benefits from everything I do to improve it and I cant afford the additional mortgage to buy him out. The divorce was hostile. I want to make my home my business premises for my driving instrutor business and then use business loans to buy out my ex and make the improvements to my home that it needs

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I replied but haven't had a response - do I need to respond again?


Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.



As your property is residential, you will not be able to raise any commercial/business loan against it, I'm afraid.


Even if you wish to borrow money for your business, the Bank will only grant you a normal residential Mortgage as the property is residential (making it a registered address of your business would not alter this).


You are therefore free to try and obtain a normal residential Mortgage, and if successful, these monies can be used to pay off your ex husband.


Please let me know if you require any further clarification.


If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.


Kind Regards