How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

HMRC are demanding £2400.00 from us in penalties that we are

Customer Question

HMRC are demanding £2400.00 from us in penalties that we are supposed to have incurred because of a mix up on our part. We filed our self employed tax returns last year as individuals but they insist we are a partnership. We appealed against this explaining what was quite a complicated story, having moved twice, an accountancy firm we had to use went bust, another accountant in London who had messed us about to say the least. Anyway, we acknowledge we are partly at fault and are willing to pay some penalty but the amount they are demanding seems completely disproportional. We manage a small golf club and only earn £23000.00 per annum and have two teenage children at school. Can we get this amount reduced or make small payments over the next year ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. For now please let me know what was the outcome of the appeal?

JACUSTOMER-hxrt8ue0- :

They simply rejected our grounds for any appeal and just demanded we pay before they handed it over to an outside collection agency.

AlexWatts2013 :

If you have an accountant then you can try and get them to reduce the amount or agree to make payments by installments. You could do this yourself but they are more likely to accept an offer from an accountant. If you do try and do this yourself you need to send an income and expenses breakdown and show what you can actually afford. HMRC are unlikely to accept a lesser amount but they may well accept a payment plan as long as it is cleared over 12 months.

Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.