How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I live with my long term boyfriend (29 years) in his house

Customer Question

I live with my long term boyfriend (29 years) in his house to safeguard myself I pay him a monthly rent. If he pre deceases me I know his family who have no love for me and who are (rightly so) beneficiaries in his will i.e. he has left the house to them, would want to throw me out do I have any rights
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Law Denning :

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousand's of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Do you have proof of payments?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
The fact that you have lived together for more than two years gives you a clear claim on his estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act
This could be in the form of the Right to remain in the property or to receive a lump sum from the sale proceeds
The "rent" that you have paid could also give you a financial claim on the property if it was more than the going rental rate for the area - but it is the claim on the estate which is your strongest card as the length of your relationship could denote a major claim.
The case law is here
If it is at all possible you should discuss the matter with your partner who should alter his Will to cover your housing needs in some way
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details